This site uses Google Analytics
History of the Society

 

The Society was formed in 1958 as The Coal Preparation Society with the objective of providing a forum for the free and full exchange of information and technical data relating to the cleaning of coal.

Originally its members were drawn from engineers and scientists from the National Coal Board, universities, colleges and companies involved in designing and constructing washing plants.History

In the late 1960's it was realised that the UK coal industry would decline and it was decided to widen the spectrum of interest to embrace all types of mineral engineering and so the Minerals Engineering Society (MES) was formed in 1970.

In 1983 John Warden produced a History of the Society covering the first 25 years. To celebrate the Society reaching its Golden Jubilee, John Hillman was commissioned to up date the history to cover 50 years of achievements. To coincide with the Fiftieth Year celebrations at Scalford Hall in September 2008, the book “History of the Minerals Engineering Society 1958 –2008 was published and copies distributed to all members. Anyone requiring a copy of the latest History may obtain one from The National Secretary, Andrew Howells at a charge of £15.00 including postage.

The MES has always recognised the part played by engineers at plant level and its strength is in that membership.